When opening a bank account in person or online, you will need to provide certain information, including your name, address, date of birth, and Social Security number. You may also need to provide a driver’s license or other forms of identification. In addition, most banks will require you to set up a deposit account and provide proof of your income. Some banks may also require you to have a minimum balance in your account.
What Do I Need to Open a Bank Account?
The following are some requirements for opening a bank account:
- A government-issued photo identification: A driver’s license or identity card
- Social security number
- Students checking accounts may require a school ID
- Proof of address: a current utility bill or bank statement
- A minimum balance, if required by the bank
- Proof of income, if required by the bank
Opening a bank account online usually requires the same documentation as opening an account in person.
How to Open a Bank Account?
You can open a bank account with the following steps:
- Choose a Bank: You can compare banks and choose the one that is best for you.
- Confirm Eligibility Requirements: Once you have chosen a bank, it is important to confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements before applying. For example, some banks have minimum age requirements, and others require a certain minimum balance.
- Fill Out the Bank’s Application Form
- Submit Required Documentation: such as your driver’s license, Social Security number, and proof of address
- Undergo a Credit Check
- Start Using Your Account: You can access your account online, through a mobile app, or at a physical bank branch.