Installing a pet seat in your vehicle is a great solution to keep your car clean and your pet secured while on the road. A car seat hammock for dogs is considered a must-have for pet travel nowadays. But how do you properly install one?
In this article, we will walk you through the steps of installing a pet seat in your car, and putting it together after use. Whether you’re a first-time pet owner or an experienced pro, this guide will provide all the information you need to deal with your backseat dog cover setup easily.
Table of Contents
- How To Install a Pet Hammock?
- 1. Choose A Place To Install Your Hammock
- 2. Check That The Hammock Fits Your Car Seats
- 3. Place Your Hammock For Dogs In Car Rear Seat
- 4. Attach Seat Anchors, If There Are
- 5. Fasten The Headrest Straps
- 6. Secure First Side Panel
- 7. Place Something Soft or Your Pet Like
- 8. Invite Your Dog into the Car
- 9. Attach Your Pet’s Harness With A Safety Belt To The Car Seat Buckle
- 10. Secure Second Side Panel
- How To Put Together a Pet Safe Car Seat?
- Final Thought
How To Install a Pet Hammock?
Setting up your dog hammock properly and securely is the key to a comfortable and safe road trip. If you are buying online, take the extra time to look up the instructions on the product card.
Many sellers and brands add videos that show you how to install their hammocks. For example, the car seat cover for dogs from the Owleys brand has a video instruction for their back seat dog cover. It shows the installation, cleaning methods, and design features.
If the installation steps remain unclear, feel free to contact the seller directly. Since the setup process is the same for most hammocks, you can also refer to the installation guide.
So what are the steps to follow to have the best dog car seat cover that is properly set up?
1. Choose A Place To Install Your Hammock
Usually, they are made for back seats, so we will list the next steps for a back seat dog cover. But please note that there are also single seat hammocks and hammocks for the cargo floor.
Plus, there are universal models with different installation methods – for example, the same car seat hammock for dogs from Owleys brand combines all three setup methods we’ve mentioned.
2. Check That The Hammock Fits Your Car Seats
Check that the hammock fits your car seats, allows you to fasten the safety belt, and is comfortable for your dog. The place for your doggie should be spacious, ventilated, and suitable in size to sit and lie cozily.
3. Place Your Hammock For Dogs In Car Rear Seat
Make sure you don’t confuse its front and back sides, and that the hammock is placed face up.
4. Attach Seat Anchors, If There Are
Insert seat anchors into the fold between the backrest and the seat. Make sure they are firmly fixed inside.
5. Fasten The Headrest Straps
Commonly there are four headrest straps, two on each side. Ensure they are tightly and securely attached to keep the hammock in place while on the go.
6. Secure First Side Panel
If your car seat hammock for dogs has side panels to protect doors, secure the first side panel. Zip it up or attach it with a strap to the grab handle, depending on the design.
7. Place Something Soft or Your Pet Like
Place a blanket, pillow, or toys from home to make your pet feel comfortable in a new space.
8. Invite Your Dog into the Car
You may need to provide treats or other rewards to encourage your doggie to use it. Please be patient and take your time.
9. Attach Your Pet’s Harness With A Safety Belt To The Car Seat Buckle
Please note that this is the only safe and tested way to transport dogs in a car.
10. Secure Second Side Panel
If you have a hammock for dogs in the car with sides, secure the second side panel after your pet is inside the car.
Once your hammock is installed and your dog is properly secured, you’re ready to hit the road.
As our experience shows, the best dog car seat cover has a quick, easy and reliable installation. So when choosing a pet hammock, pay close attention to its design and fasteners.
The material for headrest straps and seat anchors must be durable. For example, nylon or polyester can withstand heavy weight and sudden movements, which is important to ensure your pet’s road safety. Then pay attention to the material of buckles and zippers – they should also be strong, preferably metal.
And please, be sure to double-check that the installed hammock allows you to fasten your pet’s safety belt to the car seat buckle.
How To Put Together a Pet Safe Car Seat?
So, you have found, purchased, and installed your best dog car seat cover. After a few rides, you need to remove it for cleaning or to provide room for passengers. But how do you correctly fold a dog car seat cover to keep it working properly?
- Uninstall it starting from the last setup step. That means, first unfasten the side panels, then the headrest straps, and then unfasten the seat anchors. This way you can consistently and safely remove your car seat cover.
- To avoid wrinkles and creases, carefully lay down your dog hammock at the folds. If your hammock has a collapsible design, that’s great and doubly convenient.
- If you are going to wash your dog seat cover, let it dry completely before putting it back together. This is really important and helps the hammock not lose its shape and appearance. Besides, if you fold up a wet hammock, the moisture inside can become moldy, which can be dangerous for your pet’s health.
To install a pet hammock, you need to follow a few simple steps. So in the first part of our article, we discussed in detail the 10 installation steps suitable for most hammock models.
We’ve also noted which features to look out for in order to find the best dog car seat cover with a safe and durable fit. When buying online, take extra time to check if the seller has set up instructions to check out beforehand – written or visual.
In the second part of our article, we discussed how to properly fold and store a dog seat cover. Follow our guide to easily handle any setup and storage issues with your dog seat cover.